At Waldo, we’ve started to notice a direct correlation between our new-found eye radiance and our ever changing fridge shelf. Over the past six months, we’ve been listening to advice from Anita, our in-house optician, who has been urging us to chuck the fast food and restock the vegetables.
Yep, we’ve scrapped soul food, cheat food and comfort food in favour of our new normal – VISION FOOD.
And thanks to our new vitamin and omega rich diet, we’ve become even more bright-eyed than before.
Scroll down to find out why.
1. Orange-coloured fruits and vegetables are high in beta-carotene, a form of vitamin A that helps with night vision, your eyes’ ability to adjust to darkness. That’s a yes to sweet potatoes, carrots, cantaloupe, mangos, and apricots (still a no to orange Starbursts and Lucozade, sugar fiends).
2. You’re given your eye colour thanks to the amount of the pigment melanin found in the stroma of your eye’s iris. Lots of melanin here gives brown eyes, less melanin gives green eyes and little or no melanin gives blue eyes. It’s important to eat food such as oysters, beef and pork as these foods are rich in Zinc, which brings vitamin A from your liver to your retina, where it’s used to make melanin.
3. Vitamin C is good for the blood vessels in our eyes. It’s found in many vegetables and fruits, such as bok choy, cauliflower, papayas, and strawberries. Eat these foods raw when you can, as heat will break down Vitamin C making it less effective.
4. A large study has found that Vitamin E, found in hazelnuts, peanuts and peanut butter, together with other nutrients, can help slow age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
5. In order to work correctly, your retina needs two types of omega-3 fatty acids to work well: DHA and EPA. Low levels of these fatty acids have been linked to dry eyes, so make sure you eat plenty of fatty fish, such as salmon, tuna, and trout, as well as other seafood.
Liked this? We also wrote an article on the importance of sleeping well, particular when it comes to your eye health. Find out more here.
THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE
That’s right, it’s no secret – we offer a Free Trial to all new Waldo members.